04 June 2012

I think, therefore I am.. or you are?


I like being philosophical from time to time since some of the animes I watched contains them.
This particular statement of "I think, therefore I am" is quite interesting. It roughly means I exist because I think. Ergo Proxy, the anime that references this statement plays around it with religious influence. The statement is changed to "I think, therefore you are." is probably to state a god or deity's power to create life and matter in that world with a mere thought.

However, the "I" in the statement can also be myself; you only exist because I think of you. In a way, as I probably had blogged or contemplated about it,  everyone's existence is solely dependent on one's mind. This may impossible to be so for an individual in the modern society to comprehend since we learn that the world is much larger than just the Earth that we live in, but contradictorily, is it not because we think about that knowledge thus it exists?

The statement makes much more sense if it was illustrated in the older times where technology of communication is not where we are now and globalisation never came to our minds. Such a person would only know the world around him, he would not know there are other countries, the vast lands of the Earth or there is life beyond the borders of his mind.

Then again, what is the truth in the world's existence? Can you be sure that everything you know exists or were you deceived by something else? Descartes wanted to absolutely prove of something's existence without it made by a 'deceiving god'. The only thing that this god could not deceive about was his very existence since no matter how much one could  deceive your existence, if you are able to doubt your existence it is the very prove that you exist.

It also comes to the conclusion that this statement somehow is applicable to me, I suppose it is a bit literal in its 'effect'. Friends that I have only 'exist' if I think about them, most of the time when I don't, they practically don't. Hard to interpret on what I'm trying to express but how about this, take away your contacts list in your phone, delete your facebook/twitter or anything that easily reminds you of someone without much effort and see what you would think next.

If your friends rarely contacts you and you are as always doing something in your life but when you don't, you suddenly have the time to think to yourself. It is at that time when you do something, they do not exist and only when you think of someone, that person exists.

That's probably what's keeping me psychologically healthy, I don't want Facebook or anything to remind of their existence when it's not helping me in anyway positively. Solitude in this way is healthy, at least solitude from the lack of friendship. The few persons that I think of is probably, I believe who should remain in my mind, because they are probably important, why else would I think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment