13 July 2009

Meditation for enlightenment

Went to the Buddhist shrine which is at my hometown. I haven't visited it for a very long time and had always asked my parents to go there sometime.

Literally transalted(from left to right): 10,000 Buddhas Shrine, Jing Long San

I can say that i'm not really that religious of a person but i like such environments, a place that has peace and harmony. I see Buddhism teachings as life teachings, mostly it's morality and humanity. Don't really see Buddha as a 'god' per se since he was once a man but had reached enlightenment(a heart without any negative feelings and intentions) and influenced a great number of people to learn from him. Well, most religions teaches us to not stray from the right path right? Other religions such as Christianity, Hinduism and Islam; all are following great teachings which are more or less the same advising us how to live without creating chaos and destruction with anyone.
A simple example from the Bible which i find any person should have that kind of thinking:
"Do not judge others or you too will be judged" which was what Jesus said(i guess).

A picture of my dad going the elevated floors to the shrine.

Anyways, so i was at the shrine, strolling around; there was construction going, not so peaceful as would i have thought; did some bowing to the Buddha and you know what? I asked my parents if i can meditate for a bit. I didn't really recited sutras but i was doing a simple meditation, the one that you sit on the floor, close your eyes and ..well pretty much do nothing except thinking. Yup, most of you would think it's boring but it's really interesting. As in the orientation of my college, the lecturer told me about how people will usually can't sit still and do nothing, which is when the lecturer demonstrated by putting two persons in groups and just stare each other, and proving most people will can't stand it and give up as if they are going to explode of boredom. Well i didn't, the dude i had a "stare down" with, lost to me.

A picture of my mom at the front of the shrine.

But at the shrine, a whole new experience, meditating alone in the temple was quite extroadinary, in terms of exploration of my mind; just by doing that i managed to think almost everything about my life; i mostly thought about memories and feelings continuously, which sorta helps me to understand them. I think it was only about an hour or more after having meditated before my parents wanted to go back home. Simply a wonderful experience.

One thing i realized is that it takes a lot of your mental power to do meditating so i would now advice you all who are reading this to be careful if you want to try meditating since most people can't stand it and may hurt themselves mentally in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment